*Solar Rebate Update for May/June 2021* A new federal solar rebate has been announced.
As of May 27 2021 the federal government has announced an efficiency measures program that includes solar energy rebates. This $5,000 grant can be split among multiple measures but can be easily maximized with only solar panel installations. It can also be stacked alongside the City of Edmonton rebate for up to $9,000 in total cash incentive. Read more about the Canada Greener Homes Grant Here.
The following are a few updates to renewable energy subsidies and supports available in Alberta:
- *NEW MAY 2021* Federal Government NRCAN “Canada Greener Homes Grant” which specifically mentions solar based on size of system up to $5,000 here
- City of Edmonton Solar Rebate (40 cents per watt up to $4,000 per home) With an average payout of around $2,700 or about 15% of your PV Installation cost this is a great help from a forward-thinking municipality that is intent on reducing emissions and helping everyday homeowners gain energy security.
- *New in 2021* Energy Savings for Business Rebate Program for direct cash rebates on lighting, solar power, insulation, and other measures on commercial buildings.*NOTE this program has been closed for solar at this time.
- Federal Tax Incentive for Business (100% Tax credit, no capital cost depreciation) whatever your business spends on SolarNinjas services related to your PV Installation will be a 100% tax write-off with no asset depreciation. This is a great way to accelerate your payback and protect your business’s revenue from taxation. All the income and savings from your solar installation will then be directly going back into your business immediately.
- City of Edmonton Home Energy Retrofit Accelerator is a new program designed along the lines of the old federal EnergyStar program where an energy audit is performed, followed by upgrades after which you are paid a generous rebate depending on which upgrades you perform including solar energy rebates in Edmonton from SolarNinjas, tankless hot water, 97% Efficient furnaces or a boiler, windows, insulation and more.
- City of Edmonton commercial Building Retrofit Accelerator is a very large program designed to entice you to do efficiency upgrades such as solar energy, LED lighting upgrades, insulation and building envelope, water and air heating upgrades etc.. rebates are available up to $150,000!
- Solar Loans – The previous NDP Government set up a green loans program that can only be accessed via a legitimate solar contractor such as SolarNinjas. Contact us for information on how you can borrow to pay for your entire Edmonton, Ab home or business solar installation for as little as $135 per month and rates as low as Prime+1% up to millions of dollars for business, and Prime+2% for homes up to $60,000.
Of course, while some people are against “handouts” for individuals and businesses, they should remember that the oil and gas, coal and transportation industries as well as manufacturing and processing of raw materials industries have received billions of Alberta taxpayer dollars PER YEAR over the last 50 years of Alberta conservative governments including major utilities for power generation. These subsidies, taxpayer-backed loans, incentives etc have created jobs, but create far FEWER jobs per million dollars spent than any equivalent investment in renewable energy and green tech jobs. (Solar creates 3x the jobs of oil or coal investment) so really if we are being fair it is not unreasonable to spend a few million dollars to support green transitions. We need oil and gas to evolve as well alongside us, but the pubic spending there has to stop or be balanced with spending in new sectors.
It is, therefore, more than fair and overdue that individual taxpayers receive some of their own hard-earned dollars back for doing the right thing. It is not cheap to do the right thing, if it were then everyone would do it and these major industries wouldn’t have been demanding money for every step they take. You deserve your piece of the pie, and to make a safer, healthier, cheaper energy world requires that you have the freedom to get support from smart policy and incentives wherever they make sense. Contact us today to see how we can be of help in getting your solar energy rebates in Edmonton, Ab, and surrounding areas.